Sunday, October 21, 2012

Movement Tray Modifications

I've found my home made movement trays are almost as much trouble as not having any, so I thought it time to modify them to make them more practical, as well as more aesthetically pleasing.

As I've mounted all my figures on bases backed with fridge-magnets, my first iteration of the movement trays were just metal sheet cut in the shape of the column formation. While it looked fine, flush with the table, it turned out to be impossible to pick up. So I added a thicker layer of balsa, or cardboard, under the sheet metal to aid the portability of the trays, the very fact that they were home-made meant that they weren't as accurately sized as the commercially available laser cut bases, and therefore still were problematic in the portability stakes. If you're not careful, picking them up can cause the figures to pop off the base, as part of the finger's pressure was applied to the figures as well as the tray.

I've been meaning to do something about this for a while and have now bitten the bullet by the horns (and other mixed metaphors), to make something a little more practical as well as pleasing to the eye.

Original cardboard backed metal sheet movement tray

With battalion attached

Tray glued to cereal box cardboard.

Coarse gel applied to lip

The new, improved movement tray after terrain-scaping. Front view...

...and side-view.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice Sir, these will come in very handy as well as looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great improvisation and product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Sir, a clever solution indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Shelfari Bookshelf