Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Adventures with Milliput #2

I've tried another conversion trick with the useful HaT 8095 set, this time with Milliput.

The original figures come with uncovered shakos, but I'd got myself some command figures from SHQ/Kennington for variety, some of which came with their shakos in oilskin covers. I though it would look odd if only the officers and NCOs had their shakos covered, so I thought it time to try a little sculpting conversion experiment.

Very simply, I covered the original shako in a thin layer of putty. Thick enough to cover the original details but not too thick, otherwise it looks like he's wearing a busby! After I got the right look, I gently carved lines using my craft knife to indicate the folds in the cloth, using the metal figure as a template.

I reckon it worked out quite well, but we'll see after he's painted up!

SHQ/Kennington officer figure in covered shako

My version of a covered shako on a HaT figure

5 comments:

  1. Ingenious and certainly looks spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ho Rosbif! I have nominated you for a Liebster.

    http://joyandforgetfulness.blogspot.ie/2012/11/leibster-awards.html

    Though on looking at your archive it appears I'm late. My bad. Disregard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honoured, Kinch, old man! A 2nd nomination is icing on the cake!

      Delete
  3. Isn't milliput wonderful stuff?! Have you tried Das? I now use that more often than milliput. It does not dry quite as hard, but is really malleable and easy to work with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Shelfari Bookshelf