My Westphalians are finished, only waiting to be based; I've received my order of 1815 French Infantry from Schilling Zinnfiguren in Germany; and I've started a terrain project using fabric from a pair of old jeans which I cut into strips for roads.
I'll post pictures of the Westphalians and the Schilling figures later in the week, but today I'll share with you my new method for road building.
Early on in this blog I made roads using kitchen sponges and putty, which look excellent but had the disadvantage of curling up when dried so they never lay flat. I solved that problem by gluing them to pieces of thin balsa wood, which worked, but left them thicker than I was intending. I was still left with the problem of having rigid road pieces which could only be used on hills if you didn't mind having ramps, which I do!
After a pair of favourite black jeans wore through around the crotch (Oo-er, Matron! What have I being rubbing against I hear you all ask; get your minds out of the gutter!), I decided to cut the jeans into straight strips and other shapes, like curves, cross-roads, intersections etc. After ironing the strips I initially thought I'd spray them using some left over cans from another terrain project, but that didn't seem to take too well on the denim.
|First attempt with spray paint|
After that, I just slapped on some art acrylic directly on to the fabric and then added a little flock and railway ballast using PVA. The result is a semi-rigid, yet still flexible terrain piece which I think will work well with the rest of my terrain pieces, both bought and home-made!
|Painted and railway ballast added with PVA|
|Contour hugging finished product.|