Sunday, June 10, 2012

Scratching My Roman Itch

My Roman diversion has progressed beyond just reading and listening about the period and has finally produced figures! Namely HaT's new Late Roman Medium Cavalry set. 

This is the first figure from that set, with the shield painted roughly the same as that on the box art. I am yet to find a proper display of the shields from the Notitia Dignitatum so as to paint particular legions. Indeed I don't even know if it contains cavalry patterns. This is just a start, however, and I'm not even sure if I'm going to take it any further than painting up a few figures.

I'd like to paint up some infantry too, but what's on offer isn't much chop in this scale. I might buy some and use them to experiment with drastic conversions and sculpting to see what I can come up with. 

For the moment, though, I'm pleased with how this chap turned out. I'll base him up shortly and display him for your viewing pleasure.

If I was to take this Roman tangent further and game the period, what rules would you recommend? It seems Impetus is fairly popular, but then there's also FoG, Hail Caesar, DBA etc. etc. I'd like to get the opinion of those of you who game the ancient period as to your favourite ancient rules and why.




6 comments:

  1. Painting looks lovely Rosbif. Can't help re rules, not a period we play much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get those sometimes brother! But my accountant talk me out of it lol~

    VS

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful diversion and very nicely done; could run for a bit this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one with a scabiem romanum. If you're looking for a good painting guide for Romans, especially late Romans, try this reenactment group's site. Lovely close-up pics of armour, weapons, helmets, shields, cloth etc for infantry and cavalry:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice painting, especially the horse! Your rider is most likely Equites stablesiani Africana; comitatenses vexillationes unit under the command Comes Afrikae. You lost only one yellow circle.
    As for rules, I became interested in the free rules 'Comitatus'(http://legio-wargames.com/#.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Shelfari Bookshelf